Why I Switched to Homemade Ghee – And You Should Too
What Made Me Ditch Store-Bought Ghee
I grew up eating ghee with dal, rice, and parathas. But like many, I never questioned where it came from until I did. One day, while reading a food label, I was shocked to find additives and preservatives in a jar of ghee I'd been using for months. That was my turning point. I decided to try making it at home, just like my grandmother used to, and honestly, it changed everything for my health, cooking, and even my budget.
Switching to pure, homemade-style ghee becomes easier when you choose high-quality, traditionally made options.
- A2 Bilona Cow Ghee – Made using traditional methods, supports digestion and overall health.
- Organic Desi Ghee – Free from additives and chemicals, ideal for daily cooking.
- Glass Storage Jar – Helps store ghee safely while maintaining freshness and purity.
What Exactly Is Homemade Ghee?
Homemade ghee is made by simmering unsalted butter or malai (milk cream) until the milk solids separate and the fat becomes golden and aromatic. It's a form of clarified butter that’s been used in Indian kitchens for generations not only as a cooking fat but as a healing food in Ayurveda. Unlike store-bought ghee, homemade ghee is fresh, pure, and free of artificial colors or stabilizers.
Health Benefits That Made Me Stick With It
- Rich in Healthy Fats: Ghee contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) that are quickly absorbed and used for energy.
- Boosts Digestion: A spoonful of ghee can stimulate the secretion of digestive enzymes and support gut health.
- High Smoke Point: With a smoke point of around 485°F (250°C), it's perfect for Indian cooking methods like tadka and frying.
- Supports Immunity: Ghee is rich in fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K which play key roles in immune function.
- Lactose & Casein-Free: Properly made ghee is free from dairy solids, making it suitable for those with dairy sensitivity.
How I Make Ghee at Home – My Simple Method
You don’t need fancy equipment just patience and good ingredients. Here's how I do it:
- Start with quality cream or butter: I collect fresh malai from full-fat milk over 5-7 days and refrigerate it.
- Churn it: Using a hand blender or traditional wooden churner, I blend the cream until butter separates from buttermilk.
- Wash the butter: I wash the butter with cold water 2-3 times to remove all buttermilk traces (prevents spoilage).
- Simmer the butter: In a heavy-bottom pan, I heat the butter on low flame until it turns golden and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Strain and store: After cooling a bit, I strain the ghee through a muslin cloth into a glass jar.
It lasts for months at room temperature but I usually use it up quickly!
How to Use Homemade Ghee Daily
- For cooking: I use ghee to sauté vegetables, fry rotis, or add tadka to dals and khichdi.
- In tea or coffee: A teaspoon in my morning brew gives an energy boost and reduces hunger pangs.
- On toast: Ghee on warm toast or even chapati is pure comfort food.
- For skin and hair: I occasionally massage ghee into my scalp or use it as a natural lip balm.
Why Homemade Ghee Is Better Than Store-Bought
Besides the obvious health perks, I found these differences:
- Freshness: You know exactly when it was made no long shelf life preservatives.
- Cost-effective: Making ghee at home from leftover malai is surprisingly economical.
- Custom flavor: I like my ghee slightly browned for deeper flavor, and I can control that.
- Confidence in quality: No unknown oils, no artificial coloring just pure goodness.
How Homemade Ghee Brought Back a Connection to My Roots
Beyond the health and culinary benefits, what truly makes homemade ghee special for me is the emotional connection it has restored. Preparing ghee the way my grandmother did brought back forgotten childhood memories the warm aroma filling the house, the bubbling sound in the kitchen, and the sense of care that went into making something nourishing from scratch. It reminded me that food isn’t just about fuel, it’s about culture, tradition, and love.Frequently Asked Questions About Homemade Ghee
Q1: How long does homemade ghee last?
If stored in a clean, dry glass jar, it can last up to 3 months at room temperature or even longer if refrigerated.
Q2: Can I use salted butter to make ghee?
Technically yes, but I recommend unsalted butter. Salted butter can cause the ghee to foam excessively and alter the flavor.
Q3: Why does my ghee smell burnt?
Overheating or high flame can cause it to burn. Always simmer on low heat and keep an eye during the final stages.
Q4: Is ghee good for weight loss?
In moderation, yes. Ghee can improve metabolism and keep you full longer. I personally use 1-2 teaspoons daily while maintaining a balanced diet.
Q5: Can lactose-intolerant people have ghee?
Yes, properly made ghee is free of lactose and casein, making it generally safe. But it’s always wise to test with small amounts first.
Final Thoughts – A Worthwhile Change
Switching to homemade ghee has been one of the best decisions I’ve made for my health and kitchen habits. It’s one of those small efforts that deliver long-term rewards. The rich aroma, the trust in purity, and the nostalgic feeling of preparing something traditional all make it more than just a cooking fat.
If you’ve never tried making ghee at home, now’s the time. Once you experience the taste and benefits, you might never go back to store-bought again.
Want to enhance your health routine even more? Try these detox drinks that actually work alongside your new ghee habit!

Comments
Post a Comment
Interested in health, fitness, or self-care tips? Let me know what you’d like to read next. Your input matters!