What is Intermittent Fasting? Pros and Cons
What is Intermittent Fasting? Pros and Cons
Support Your Fasting Journey
Must-Have: Smart Water Bottle
- Helps track hydration
- Supports fasting routine
- Keeps energy levels stable
So, What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting (IF) is not a diet it’s more about when you eat, not what you eat. You simply cycle between eating and fasting periods. So instead of eating throughout the day, you eat during a set window of time, and the rest of the time you just don’t eat (only water, black coffee or tea).
Popular Methods of IF
- 16/8 method: Fast for 16 hours and eat during an 8-hour window (like 12 PM to 8 PM).
- 18/6 method: Eat for 6 hours and fast for 18.
- 5:2 method: Eat normally for 5 days, and eat very low calories (around 500) for 2 days.
I personally tried the 16/8 method first it was easier than expected because I just skipped breakfast.
What My Day Looked Like
Let me walk you through what a simple day looked like when I did 16/8 fasting:
- 8:00 AM – Warm water with lemon (no calories)
- 10:00 AM – Black coffee or green tea (still fasting)
- 12:00 PM – First meal (rice + dal + sabzi + salad)
- 4:00 PM – Light snack (fruit + handful of peanuts)
- 7:30 PM – Dinner (roti + paneer sabzi + curd)
- After 8:00 PM – Just water
Benefits I Noticed
- Weight loss: You eat in a smaller window so you naturally eat less.
- Better digestion: My stomach felt lighter, less bloating.
- Clearer thinking: I was surprisingly more focused in fasting hours.
- No complicated planning: No need for 5-6 meals daily. Two are enough.
- Blood sugar balance: Helps when paired with clean eating.
Cons You Should Know
- Hunger at first: First 3-4 days were tough. I kept checking the time.
- Headaches or low energy: Especially if you’re not drinking enough water.
- Not for everyone: Pregnant women or people with medical conditions should avoid it without a doctor.
- Social issues: Imagine skipping lunch at a wedding not fun.
My Tips for Beginners
- Start with 14/10 if 16/8 feels hard.
- Drink warm water in the morning it helps a lot.
- Don’t eat junk just because you’re hungry. Choose wisely.
- Plan your meals. Try my 7-day meal prep post for ideas!
Myths About Intermittent Fasting You Shouldn’t Believe
Myth 1: Skipping breakfast is unhealthy
We’ve all heard “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” But IF isn’t about skipping nutrition it’s about timing.
Myth 2: You’ll lose muscle
If your protein intake is solid and you’re active, you won’t lose muscle. I included foods like paneer, dal, and curd.
Myth 3: You have to do it every day
No. I take breaks on weekends or holidays. IF should feel flexible.
Foods That Help During the Eating Window
Here are some foods I prefer to break my fast with:
- High-protein: Paneer, tofu, eggs, lentils
- Fiber-rich veggies: Sabzi, soup, salads
- Healthy fats: Nuts, seeds, peanut butter
- Hydrating foods: Curd, cucumber, watermelon
Tip: Try breaking your fast with dates and warm water. It’s easy on the stomach.
What If You Feel Like Giving Up?
I’ve had tough days. On those days:
- I reminded myself that it’s okay to eat early if needed.
- I told myself, “One off day doesn’t ruin everything.”
Some days I take a break and return later. Flexibility is what makes it work.
How Intermittent Fasting Changed My Mindset
The best change? Mindfulness.
I became more aware of my hunger and eating habits. I asked, “Am I hungry or just bored?” I stopped snacking mindlessly and started feeling in control of my meals.
More You Might Like
How to Stay Motivated During Intermittent Fasting
Like any lifestyle change, intermittent fasting requires patience and consistency. Some days you’ll feel strong and focused, and other days you might feel tired or tempted to quit. That’s completely normal. Here’s what helped me stay motivated:
1. Track Your Progress
I didn’t just track my weight. I kept a journal of how I felt each day energy levels, digestion, mood, and sleep. Over time, seeing these non-scale wins kept me going.
2. Find a Buddy or Community
Sharing the journey with a friend, family member, or even an online group made a huge difference. When I felt stuck, I’d talk it out with someone who understood.
3. Celebrate Small Wins
Made it through your first 3 days? That’s a win. Noticed less bloating or better focus? Another win. Reward yourself in healthy ways a walk in the park, a new workout outfit, or just a relaxed evening with music.
4. Keep Your “Why” Visible
Write down why you started intermittent fasting and place it where you’ll see it daily. It’s a powerful reminder on tough days.
5. Stay Flexible
Life happens. If you miss your fasting window one day, don’t quit. Adjust and start fresh the next day with a positive mindset.
FAQs (Intermittent Fasting)
1. Is intermittent fasting safe?
Yes, for most people when done correctly.
2. Can I drink water while fasting?
Yes, hydration is very important.
3. How long should I fast?
Start with 12–14 hours and increase gradually.
4. Does fasting help weight loss?
Yes, it helps control calorie intake.
5. Can beginners try fasting?
Yes, but start slowly and listen to your body.
6. Can I drink tea during fasting?
Yes, but without milk or sugar. Green tea and black tea are okay.
7. Will I lose weight with IF?
If you don’t overeat during eating hours, yes. But it depends on the body.
8. Is it safe to exercise?
Yes, but start with light workouts. I prefer walking or yoga while fasting.
Final Thoughts
If you're curious about intermittent fasting, try it for a week. Listen to your body and don’t force it. It works well for many, but it’s not for everyone. If you feel better and lighter, continue. But if it feels too much, it’s okay to stop. The goal is to eat better, not to suffer.

Comments
Post a Comment
Interested in health, fitness, or self-care tips? Let me know what you’d like to read next. Your input matters!